Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pump and Dump

Ugh! Those three words have been my enemy for the past two days.  They make me sad, make me angry, make me tired and, most of all, make me miss my boy!

Who wouldn't miss this adorable boy?

Without going into too many details, my body has been at war for the past 7 weeks with an infection that just won't take the hint and leave town!  It's been pretty miserable to say the least, but I think this final round of meds just might do the trick!  I tried a mild round of meds because I didn't want to stop breast feeding Evan and I didn't want him to be affected (upset stomach or worse) by the meds I was taking.  The mild meds worked for a few days and then the infection returned.  I tried the mild meds again thinking that if I did a few things differently, it might work.  I know....silly me!

The third time the infection came on, I haul Evan and myself to the doctor determined to rid myself of this thing as fast as possible, no matter what.  Well, I was not emotionally prepared for what the doctor suggested.  Strong meds, three different types of medication, and no breast feeding for 2 of the 7 days. 

What?? No breastfeeding for 2 full days!?!?  Not cool!  I asked the doctor what I was supposed to do.  The answer, straight from his mouth, "Pump and Dump."  YUCK!!  He gave me very specific instructions on how to take these pills and cause as minimal upset stomach for my baby as possible.  He calls it a slammer mix.  I take 5 antibiotic pills at one time and then 3 days later the same thing.  I have to pump and dump for a day and I can nurse the 2 days in between.  Rinse and repeat ;)  On top of that, I have to take an anti-fungal prophylactically (yes, I know big words) to prevent a ductal yeast infection because I'm a nursing mom.  

So, I started the meds on Friday morning.  First and foremost, I fed my sweet baby boy.  I almost cried, but thought, "It's only one day." I took 6 pills (the nastiest tasting things in the universe).  For the rest of the day, I pumped and dumped.  Again, I almost cried!  A total of 13 ounces of milk down the drain.  Very sad day for mama.  Then last night as I put my son to sleep, I prayed over his belly.  Lord, please protect my son's belly from all ill effects of the medicine I am taking.  Help his system to be strong and fight off the meds that may flow from my body to his during this 7 day period.  Help his not suffer because of mama's infection.  Be with him if he does have a belly ache.  Help him to sleep well if he does not feel healthy.  And, Lord, please oh please make this round of meds work and mama not have an infection anymore.  Amen.

I went to sleep last night hopeful and ready to feed my son again.  This morning could not come soon enough.  Evan slept so well last night.  From 9 - 4 and then from 4:30 to 8!  I slept well too and was anxious to feed him at his 4 o'clock wake up time. 

He was a little grumpy when he awoke at 8 and I just prayed again that he would not suffer from my medication.  He quickly ate his breakfast and was his normal smiley self.  He's eaten five times so far today and has slept more than normal.  We've had a pretty busy Saturday, so I'm not sure if his sleeping is due to information overload or an unhappy belly.  Either way, I'm happy that he is sleeping and not showing many signs of ill effect...except one very strong reaction...it's smelly and green and not his normal b.m.  But at least it doesn't seem to be hurting him.  Praise the Lord!

5 more days of this and it can't come soon enough!  I'll pump and dump again on Monday (that'll be easier because I work half the day and would pump anyway).  Please pray for us if you think about it.  For Evan's tiny body to not be affected by the meds I have to take.  For me to be healed of this awful infection.  For all of us to be healthy and back to normal as soon as possible! 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were dealing with this! I will so be praying for you and Evan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers with you! It must be so hard for you but at least it's almost over (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete