Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

feeding the freezer

In anticipation of baby's arrival, I've been pondering what freezer meals I'll want to cook ahead of time.  My great friend Gretchen (you can visit her here), stocked her freezer with meals (with the help of mom and sisters) before baby's arrival and the fantastic idea was embedded in my mind.

Some potential problems I'm trying to wrap my head around:
  • Rolando and I live in a small apartment and we definitely don't have a lot of freezer space. 
  • We don't have many cassarole dishware.
  • Mom and Dad  have a second fridge/freezer combo plus a large deep freezer, but they live 20+ min away.
  • My baby will be born in June/July.  Not a very good time for hot, heavy, filling meals.
Some ideas for freezer meals:
Beef strognaoff
chicken, bean, beef enchiladas
chicken parmesian
lasagna
mannitcottis
cookie dough made into cookies (so it's not a meal...I still want it in my freezer!!!)
pulled pork bbq
chicken chili cassarole
Bean/rice/cheese wraps on tortillas (handy for quick lunches)



So, my few followers....
What freezer meals do you and your family enjoy?  Recipes?  What lessons have you learned (what not to freeze)?  Can a momma-to-be hope to purchase tin (disposable) cassarole dishes to freeze and still have high quality meals come from the oven?  Or should we invest in cassarole dishes for the long haul?

4 comments:

  1. definitely invest in the alum. tins! they work great. or you can buy a few stoufer meals and reuse the "cookware" they come in..lol you should add pototo soup, chicken noodle soup, ziti, chicken/rice cass. etc...Soups are GREAT bc you can throw them in the crockpot...even better just get a ton of frozen food, mix and match, put in zip lock backs and throw into the crockpot when ready --then you don't have to worry about freezer burn or freezing your own veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disposable pans for sure! I got mine at Cash 'n Carry for pretty cheap. Tired mamas don't like extra dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only 1 tip to share and I recently learned it... Don't cook eggs in aluminum tins. They turn green. I don't know if anything you premake will have eggs but just a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disposable are awesome! I like to write whatever the food is on a piece of tin foil and put that over the food before I put the (clear) lid on.

    Since it will be in the middle of the summer, you're right, you might now want a lot of heavy casserole-type food. Can you grill? You could have all kinds of freezer things (chicken, fish, meat, pizza) all ready for the grill. Or maybe, get a grill pan and use that on your stove?

    Also, one thing I did was have a food shower after Rachel was born. We had it about 2 weeks before I went back to work and it was WONDERFUL. People also gave us lots of other nice stuff but to have prepared meals was marvelous.

    One last thing, you could store food at your parents place (if they're OK with that) and then whenever you guys visit them pick up a few meals for the week. You won't want to be eating freezer meals every day so it will be nice to let them stretch out over several months, if possible.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete