Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the exercise dilemma :)

I've been having a hard time at the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays.  Those are the days that I normally go to my yoga-lates class and try as hard as possible to be gracefully bendy in all the ways that my pregnant belly refuses to do.  It's gotten harder and harder, but I've struggled through it and really, it seems that I've been doing okay and I feel the benefit from it.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I attend swim aerobic classes and truly enjoy those classes.  During the class, I feel light and free.  After class, my body has a different, very pressure free feel to it.  I do believe I'm going to keep attending those classes until I deliver.  But that always brings in the burning question: What if my water breaks while I'm in the pool?  Will I know it?

Now that I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy, I'm having thoughts that maybe I shouldn't be doing things that could pull muscles (especially in my abs....can you imagine trying to push a baby out with pulled muscles in your abs!?!?!)  I'm thinking about cutting yoga-lates out of my routine because I just don't want to run the risk.  And, now that the weather is getting nicer (ish) and it's staying lighter, longer, I think it will be a good thing to go on walks (at lease 30 minutes long).  I'm also thinking that I should bring my exercise ball home from the office and use that as much as possible during the evening when I'm watching TV and trying to relax.  Leaning on that will help promote Sweet Pea's head to be in the correct position.

All of these things have been on my mind as my body prepares for the most strenuous task it's ever conquered...and it WILL be conquered! :)  I've been focusing on keeping positive about the end task and reminding myself that God made me to do this.  But above that, I've been reminding myself that I can do so many things to help the process along and strengthen myself for this task.  I need to keep focused on that fact and remind myself daily that the harder I work now, the easier (hopefully) it will be when the day comes that I will finally get to hold my son.

--What kinds of things did you do during pregnancy to help your body prepare for labor?

2 comments:

  1. If your water breaks...you. will. know. Trust me.
    If it was me I would keep swimming but leave the yoga-lates out and go for walks and do streches instead. BUT that's only because I hate yoga and LOVE going on walks so really, you probably shouldn't listen to me. :)
    And let's not leave out the obvious....I'm so proud of you and amazed at all that you're doing. That's awesome! Good for you!
    What it comes down to is this....you and your body will know just what to do when the time comes. As for activity, do whatever you are comfortable with and whatever is safe for you and the baby. For example, I refused to walk on snow covered sidewalks.
    And remember, you are mom so you get to make any decision you want and no one can ask you to defend your choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat cross-legged at my desk. I switched my wheel chair for one of the plain classroom chairs so my knees had room :)

    I also did lots of pelvic rocks. The night my water broke I rolled off the couch to do some pelvic rocks b/c I was feeling uncomfortable. Moments after I snuggled back on the couch my water broke!

    Lots of squats too!

    ReplyDelete