Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Mile Long To-Do List

At our last birth preparation class, the teacher asked, "What is something that would have to be done right away if your baby was born tomorrow?"  Oh my goodness did that get my head spinning.  My immediate thought was, "Well I sure wish I had practiced relaxation techniques and breathing more." But besides that, what needs to be done?  What better way to keep on track and be able to add and delete things than to put it on a blog, right?  So, with no further delay, here's the list of stuff that I'd like to get done before baby comes...and some things that I've already done, but wanted to make it known :)  Really, if not everything gets done, I'm totally fine with that too!  I'll keep it categorized by 'must complete' and 'would like to complete' for sanity's sake!

Must Complete:
Install car seat (May 28th at a center that is offering free assistance) - the car seat is IN the jeep just not properly secured.
Receive a chest of drawers from co-worker and put all clothes away
Go through all of our stuff and get it ready for a garage sale (garage sale is May 21st so this needs to happen soon!)
Move co-sleeper into bedroom, prepare bed for baby, rearrange funiture in bedroom to accomodate
Buy a baby book (I've been keeping track of things in a book that my doctor gave me but it's not fancy or fun in any way and I'd like to at least attempt a baby book.)
Pack our hospital bags (also happening May 21st so that we know for sure it's all ready!)
  • rice sock
  • playlist for iPod needs to be created
  • boppy
  • slippers
  • Scentsy candle and warmer (I think the newborn nursery smell will be most relaxing)
  • Toothpaste/toothbrush and deodarant
  • breast pump (to be able to ask questions about it)
  • anything else I need??

Would like to complete:
Wash all clothes
Put stroller together and practice opening and closing
Start reading a book about the first year of life
Get connected to a new mom's group
Take Janelle to a child birth prep class

--Any advice for preparation for the big day?  Should I expect less?  Should I expect anything? What did you pack into your hospital bag?

5 comments:

  1. Bring a laptop and movies. You'll be bored to tears. Oh wait, maybe not the first time around. :0) But, really...bringing a laptop will give you something to do when hubby goes home to shower.

    Don't forget shampoo and conditioner, oh and soap.

    Your cell phone.

    Comfy change of clothes for you.

    Comfy baby blanket for baby. Hospital blankets are bleeched and hard!

    Oh...so excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a take home outfit for the baby! :) And a camera definitely need to go in your hospital bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list is so very similar to what mine was like...right down to practicing using the stroller and getting the car seat ready (we stopped by our local Police department and they were happy to help us). :)
    I think your list looks great. I'm a huge list maker myself so of course I'm impressed with yours. :)
    You forgot one very important thing....GO ON A DATE WITH YOUR HUSBAND. My doctor passed these words of wisdom by us just 2 weeks before R came and we were soooo thankful for it. We were so busy getting ready for the baby that we forgot about each other!
    P.S. I was hoping to mail the pump today but I was working in my garden last night and didn't get it packed. I have luncheons tomorrow and Friday so I'll try to get it mailed on Monday. That should put it to your office by at least Friday, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hospital bag
    buy a cotten bra (cheapy! from target thing clearance, until your milk comes in)
    undies grannies!
    really comfy fleece pants (2 pair just incase you ruin one pair)
    shower stuff-->nothing harsh though b/c you'll be sore
    your own pillow!
    shampoo---i forgot it both times!
    outfit to take baby home in--2 sizes...one tiny one and one litle bit bigger...keira fit in hers fine, but tyler ended up fitting in a premmie size! randy had to buy an outfit for the little guy lol
    oh and a baby hat

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohhh don't forget your phone charger, laptop charger, camera charger, ipod charger!!! and snacks...lots of snacks! the hospital food only comes ones in a while, but the hospitals i went to would let you order as much food as you wanted after giving birth! it was awesome...i had like 4 meals just for me in one sitting! but hey! i just ran a marathon AND was burning caloires left and right due to breast feeding
    ah crap...and extra long heavy duty pads. the hospital ones are really bulky! if you have an awesome nurse...ask them to send you home w/ the little "accident" pads they put under you-->saves your sheets at home...sorry i know your list is getting overwhelming. :)

    ReplyDelete