Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 11, 2011

baby steps toward....well...baby!

Today Rolando and I did something big.  Wait, I don't want to start there...let me back up.

When Rolando and I first met, we went salsa dancing, we went for walks, we played ultimate frisbee with my friends.  We had great times until he landed himself in the ER at Adventist Medical with a separated shoulder!  We had known each other for manybe 3 weeks and I invited him to play ultimate frisbee (he had never played before) with my friends.  He is the epitome of full-out, high-speed, in-it-to-win-it player!  Oh my, I laughed so hard at him running around jumping and falling trying to get the hang of this new yet really cool game.  He was having so much fun.  Then, in one fleeting second, he jumped too high and landed very awkwardly and I heard a POP!  He had hurt himself.  He didn't want me to see him in pain so he tried to stand up and "shake it off." 

Note to everyone: Don't ever, under any circumstance, try to shake off a shoulder injury!!  It'll drop you to the ground with pain like you've never experienced (at least that's what it looked like to me as I watched my super tough amazingly hot boyfriend fall to the ground screaming like a girl).

I told him I'd get the jeep and we were going to the ER.  What I didn't know at that time was that my future husband was TERRIFIED of hospitals and needles and anything that had to do with...hospitals and needles.  I spent the next 5 hours trying to calm my super tough boyfriend enough for them to give him pain meds through an IV and take x-rays and do all the necessary stuff to diagnose and fix him (did I mention that he didn't speak english really well when we first met???  Yeah, that's another post all together).

Fast forward 2 and a half years and we're having a BABY!!! :)  So exciting, such a miraculous time, so....terrifying (for my husband).  He has, since day one we found out we were expecting, been talking about how the hospital is going to be the worst thing ever and he doesn't know how he can do it.  So, I decided, in all my wisdom, to take a tour with him of the maternity center and the cafeteria (cause let's face it, we all know that the man needs food!)  We had the BEST 'tour guide' ever.  She was very patient and calm.  She took us to the labor/delivery room, showed us the jacuzzi (that's right!), showed us the nursery, the recovery room...all the bells and whistles.  It was such a great day for Rolando.  He came out of there with a smile on his face saying that there are many good things about that hospital.  Here's his list:
1. It doesn't smell like a hospital
2. It was very calm and peaceful in the maternity section
3. It has flat screen tvs!
4. The doctors talk slowly enough for him to understand. (I'll have to remember this tidbit when I'm making it known that this is all HIS fault!)

Yep, give my husband a tv and he's set for life!  Give him an elevator straight to the cafeteria and he's your best friend.

2 comments:

  1. You sound sooooo happy Charissa. I love reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog made me smile. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching Rolando get the tour. mom.

    ReplyDelete