Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, February 17, 2011

What's in a name

My husband and I are starting to talk (a lot) about names!  I'm so excited for this part of the journey and SOOOO not looking forward to it.  I had a list a mile long of baby girl names that I absolutely adore!  However, God has given us a boy (which I am so thrilled with!!!!)and baby boy names on the HARDEST things to come up with.  I've started researching names on line.  I've looked at books as I pass by them.  I listen everywhere I go for boy names to be called out.  I've even thought about it as I'm going through student files at work.  I've only come up with one that I sort of like.  Hubby likes it too.  But I'm just not thrilled about it. 

I love my name.  My parents did an amazing job at choosing names for me and my 3 siblings.  They are perfect for us.  I couldn't imagine a sister or brother with a different name. 

I know I have 4 more months to go, but it's hitting me just how hard this journey can be.  I want my son to adore his name.  I want it to fit him perfectly.  I want to be able to bless him with a name that (hopefully) won't get too much teasing from the other kids in his class. 

To my friends that are parents:  How did you come up with your children's names?  Web?  Book?  Family member?

2 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant with Bryce, I didn't know Christ, but I was drawn to the meanings and syllables of names. Bryce Montgomery Duncan. The super long middle name compensated for the short first and last name. It means alert or ambitious, rich man's mountain, and Brown Warrior. Now I had no idea at the time why I was being led to this name, but when Bryce was born, unlike most babies who sleep a lot when they are born, Bryce stayed awake the WHOLE DAY! He was like "HELLO WORLD" His name was the very likeness of his personality! And to this day his ambition and awareness is a dominant characteristic. Now I didn't know until after I began to follow Jesus how he knows our names and is the one who names us! How did I come up with his name-I didn't.

    And I have a story for each of our kids, so I will just have to have some coffee with you to share the other leading of our kids names.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congrats on having a boy! And yes.... isn't the naming thing hard? Especially for boys!!!!! It took us ages to finally settle on "Levi" and now that we're expecting #2 I'm already thinking "what if it's another boy?" We have no idea!!! I just read through a lot of books... looked online... and watched the movie credits after movies! Hahaha. We ended up choosing one of the two names I've liked for years. The other one was used by my sister-in-law so that one's out... and Ryan didn't like Levi at first because of another kid he knew... but the name eventually grew on him too and we settled on it. Now we just LOVE it and it fits levi perfectly. In any case... GOOD LUCK! And you're right - it IS a big deal!!! :)

    ReplyDelete